Today I’m sharing this delicious Baked French Toast recipe straight out of Vera Stewart’s new cookbook! Vera Stewart of VeryVera and The VeryVera Show is set to release her first cookbook, The VeryVera Cookbook: Recipes From My Table this April! Let me back up a bit. This past February I had the pleasure of meeting Vera at The Southern C Summit in Sea Island Georgia. She is a true Southern lady with a million dollar smile as well as a smart business woman who gets things done. She’s a Southern cooking show host, entrepreneur, caterer, mail aficionado, and mentor. She has been featured in countless publications over the course of her career, including two separate runs in Southern Living, O, The Oprah Magazine, InStyle, Town & Country, The New York Times, and Veranda. I am truly inspired by Vera’s zest for life and her endless energy. She’s simply amazing and fun to be around. At the Summit I gave her one of my Going Green trays (as seen below) and asked her if she’d like to collaborate on a fun story. Since Mother’s Day is around the corner, she was gracious enough to share this fabulous Baked French Toast recipe. If you are thinking about a special Mother’s Day idea, serve her Baked French Toast, perfect for a breakfast in bed surprise. Enjoy!
Baked French Toast Recipe
In Vera’s words, “As a child, French toast was my favorite weekend breakfast, taking the top spot over pancakes. Then, when my sons were growing up, it continued to be the house favorite, but the extensive prep relegated it to weekends or holidays only. We created this version at VeryVera to give everyone his or her favorite breakfast treat any time.”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Baked French Toast Ingredients
1 cup heavy cream
⅔ cup whole milk
4 large eggs
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt
8 slices French bread, sliced ¾ inch thick
1 cup dark brown sugar
⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup maple syrup, plus additional for topping
¾ cup pecans, chopped
Confectioners’ sugar for topping
Baked French Toast Directions
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the heavy cream, milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Pour ½ cup of the egg mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Soak the bread in egg mixture for 2 minutes, pressing down on the bread to absorb the liquid.
- While the bread is soaking, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and flour in a separate bowl.
- Transfer the soaked bread to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the soaked bread slices generously with the sugar mixture, flip over, and repeat.
- Stack the slices at a slant across the 9 x 13-inch pan and push them together so they all fit in the pan.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Drizzle the bread slices with the maple syrup and sprinkle with the pecans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve warm and garnish with confectioners’ sugar and additional maple syrup, if you like.
Recipe courtesy of Vera Stewart, “The VeryVera Cookbook: Recipes from my Table”
Photography by Brent Cline